Friday, March 16, 2018

The first Friday Recipe...Grain-free Porridge

After doing research online, I put together elements of several different recipes to make something that I thought would work for me. Most use some form of almonds, which I can't eat, so I made it with hazelnut meal instead. This is what I tried this week, and I like it! Yay! :D

===================

Grain-Free Porridge
     (makes about 1 1/4 cups ~ One good serving, for me)
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
1/3 cup coconut shreds
1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 cup of alternative milk
(coconut oil~ see notes)
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Heat the milk until it starts to steam. Pour it over the
porridge mix and stir well. Let it sit for several minutes, stir again, and enjoy! :)

===================

*The first time, I added about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the warm porridge, which was tasty
and added some good, healthy plant fats to my day.
*I tried adding a teaspoon of hemp hearts, which was also good. 
*I'm currently using sweetened shredded coconut as that's all I can get here. Once I have a chance to go out of town, where there are more options, I'll try it with unsweetened.
*I have tried it with both coconut and hemp milks, and liked it both ways.
     Coconut Dream unsweetened original shelf-stable coconut milk
     Pacific unsweetened vanilla hemp milk
*This would probably be good with fruit, like blueberries or chunks of apple or pear.
*If I were using apple or pear, I'd probably try a little ground ginger with it, too.
*My favorite cinnamon is Korintje cinnamon from Penzeys spice company: penzeys.com
     One way I help myself deal with my limits is by treating myself to a few special things.
     This cinnamon is one of them. :)  Good olives are another. :)
*Several recipes recommended the inclusion of coconut, to give it a "chew" similar to oats. I'm glad I followed their advice. It makes a good difference in the texture.
*This experiment has started me pondering on the subject of granola...maybe this porridge mix could lead to a granola that works for me! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you found a porridge that works for you! :) I am eager to try it also since my first attempt at grain free porridge did not turn out well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I SO appreciate your pointing me in the direction of something new to eat for breakfast! :) :)

    ReplyDelete