Sunday, April 26, 2020

Simple Chicken Two Ways with Golden Coconut Rice and Roasted Broccoli

This is a good example of how I accommodate different food needs/preferences, within the same meal. I love Paprika Chicken, but my husband does not. He can have garlic, but I can't. This is a very simple way to put something on the table that works for us both. I cooked egg noodles for my husband, as I didn't know whether he would like the rice. (He loved it!)

My dinner (Paprika Chicken):

His dinner (Lemon Pepper Chicken):

 This whole dinner was ready in about one hour. 
For those who can bake the chicken and broccoli together, it would be even faster.
Simple Chicken Two-Ways
2-6 servings, depending on appetite 
(We're both over 50 with low activity level. When feeding our four growing kids, I would have doubled this, at least.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  
1 package (around one pound) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
       Check each piece carefully- I sometimes find small bone shards.
       Chicken breasts would also work well, but the cooking time might be shorter.

Line baking sheet or dish with foil or parchment. Pinch into a ridge down the middle, to keep flavors from mingling during baking. (This might not be strictly necessary, but for us- we can't have garlic or paprika wandering onto the other side.)

Add chicken pieces to prepared dish or pan. For us, I do Paprika Chicken seasoning on one half and Lemon Pepper Chicken seasoning on the other.




[Paprika Chicken]:
Olive oil- spread a bit of olive oil on the top of each chicken piece
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Sprinkle each piece with salt, black pepper, and a bit of paprika
Lemon zest - sprinkle a bit of fresh lemon zest on top of each seasoned piece.
     (I was generous with mine- I love lemon)

[Lemon Pepper Chicken]:
Olive oil- spread a bit of olive oil on top of each chicken piece 
Garlic powder
Lemon Salt (we use Falk Salt citron salt, bought on Amazon) 
Black pepper
****A Lemon Pepper seasoning blend from the spice section would work just as well*** 

Sprinkle each piece with garlic powder, lemon salt and black pepper (or lemon-pepper blend). I break down the lemon salt flakes in a small mortar and pestle before adding to the chicken.

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (juices are clear and internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.)

(Start heating water- if pasta or noodles are needed as a substitute for the rice)
(Start heating water and coconut milk for rice)


Roasted Broccoli
Fresh broccoli- about four good-sized crowns
Olive oil
Salt

Cut broccoli florets from stem and trim any bad bits. The baking time will depend entirely on the size of the pieces you cut. I do ours in chunks of one to two inches at the widest part with an inch or two of stem. Toss with olive oil and salt. Arrange on a shallow-rimmed baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between pieces. This is important, if you want roasted, rather than steamed, broccoli. You will get better results if you do two or three batches, rather than crowding it all on one pan.

Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until undersides are nicely browned.

We have a small RV oven, so I have to cook the chicken and broccoli separately. In a regular-sized oven, you should be able to bake them at the same time, on two racks. Make sure that the bottom rack is not too close to the element, and keep a close eye on what cooks on the lower rack, to prevent burning. With both in at the same time, and opening to door to put in broccoli and take it out, the chicken will take slightly longer to cook.


 Golden Coconut Rice
1 3/4 cups water
1 can (13.5 oz) thick coconut milk (I use Native Forest brand)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
(1/8 teaspoon black pepper)***
2 cups Jasmine rice

In a medium saucepan that has a lid, bring the water and coconut milk to a boil. Add rice and seasonings and stir well. Cover. *Do not life the lid while cooking!* The rice needs to steam.
On our stove, I cook the rice, covered, on low for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the rice to sit, still covered, for 10 more minutes.

***The black pepper is optional. We liked it. I added it because I've heard that black pepper helps the body absorb or use turmeric to best effect. Coconut oil and turmeric are both said to have anti-inflammatory properties.

*Cooking order that worked for me:
-start oven heating
-prep chicken
(fill pot, start water heating for pasta)
(start prepping broccoli)
-chicken into oven when it's pre-heated
-start heating water and coconut milk for rice
-finish prepping broccoli
-broccoli in to cook
-rice and seasonings in
-next batch of broccoli in
-pasta in
*

So, there you have it- one simple, easily adjustable meal. I hope this helps ease some of your dinner-time frustration.

Thanks for stopping by. :)




     


3 comments:

  1. I like how you made a ridge in the parchment paper to separate the different flavors. A simple fix that saves you dishes! :) I'm interested in making the golden coconut rice. Where do you get your turmeric powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!It has worked well for me. :) The turmeric powder I have right now, I bought at Andy's Market in College Place, Washington. Any store that sells spices in bulk will probably have turmeric. It's usually cheaper that way than in the wee little bottles in the baking aisle. Our kids find bulk spices at WinCo stores, and I've seen them at health food stores too.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete