Thursday, February 6, 2020

"Everything-free" Tuscan Soup

I have a wonderful recipe for Zuppa Toscana (Tuscan Soup) that I got from a friend some years ago. It is truly delicious. Unfortunately, when you take out all of the things I can no longer eat (potatoes, cream, onions, garlic) there is not much left: broth, meat and kale. Doesn't that sound delicious? Um...no.

For the past several years, I have been working on a version of this soup that would fit my new food world. I have hit on a satisfactory result a few times...only to find out that yet another food had started bothering me, so back to the drawing board. Or chopping board... ;-)

This is the version I am currently using. In fact, I just finished making a batch for my lunch today.

It is creamy and hearty, just right for a cold Winter day.



"Everything-free" Tuscan Soup
dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade-free
Serves 4
Total time: about an hour

1/2 pound each gluten-free bacon and mild Italian sausage- chop bacon into bite-sized chunks
    (I buy a pound of each, cook it all & save half to freeze for the next time I make soup)
1 quart chicken stock or broth
    (I usually use reduced-sodium, so I can control the overall saltiness. The meats tend to be very salty, which make can the soup far too salty if you also use full-sodium stock)
3-4 "white" sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    (These can be hard to find in some places; then I use standard orange sweet potatoes/yams)
(1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion- if you can tolerate it)
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme 
Several large leaves of kale, thoroughly washed, ribs cut out, leaves roughly chopped
1 (13.5 fl.oz.) can thick coconut milk (I use Native Forest brand)
Salt and black pepper to taste- I use roughly 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, added at the end

While the meats are cooking, I prepare the sweet potatoes and gather the other ingredients.




In a large soup pot, over medium to medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring often, until cooked through. Remove to a bowl lined with paper towels, to drain off grease. Add chopped bacon pieces to pot. Keep at medium to medium-high until a few pieces start to brown, then turn down to medium-low. Stir often to avoid burning. When the bacon is mostly cooked (the fat has mostly rendered out and most of the pieces are browning) remove to a paper towel-lined bowl to drain grease. Pour the rest of the grease into a heat-proof container. (Don't pour it straight into the trash. The hot grease will melt a plastic garbage bag- voice of unfortunate, absent-minded experience!)





Add the quart of chicken stock to the pot, along with the sweet potato chunks, dried onion and thyme. Cover, bring to a boil, then turn down to a strong simmer. While waiting, prepare the kale. Check soup after 15 minutes. The sweet potatoes should be tender, but not falling apart. When ready, add meats back to the pot, along with the chopped kale. Add the can of coconut milk. As soon as the coconut milk is fully melted and stirred in, check the broth for flavor. Add salt and pepper if needed.The seasoning of sausage can vary widely, so it's good to wait until the end to finish seasoning. Cook for just a few minutes, until the kale just begins to soften.

No comments:

Post a Comment