Friday, May 25, 2018

Could-be-vegan Broccoli Salad

Something savory for a change, after all those sweet baked goods and breakfast foods. :)

Lunch can be a particular challenge, in the "everything-free" life. Any time I come up with a new option, it's pretty exciting. Last summer I had a sudden salad epiphany, and came up with three or four adapted recipes in one day. This is one of them.

Could-be-vegan Broccoli Salad
serves 2-4
Time: about ten minutes (plus 30 minutes if you cook bacon)
 
1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns
by the time they are trimmed, this probably amounts to 3/4 - 1 pound of usable broccoli
(3/4 pound thick bacon or good ham)
       -ham- I like to cut a thick ham steak into cubes of about 1/2"
       - bacon- I bake bacon, a useful tip that I learned from my mom. (Thanks, Mom!) :)
         ~ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay bacon slices out on a heavy, sided baking sheet.
           For thick bacon, I do 12-15 minutes on the first side, turn the slices over, and bake
           for about 8-12 minutes more. I dislike floppy bacon, so my aim is cooked-but-not-
            burned. If you like softer bacon, reduce the cooking time. Drain bacon on paper towels.
           This saves cleanup of the stovetop, reduces grease-spatter burns on the cook, and
           produces bacon slices that are nice and flat, and evenly cooked.

1 cup vegan mayonnaise (I like my salad creamy- start with 3/4 cup and add more to your taste)
     I currently use Follow Your Heart brand soy-free vegenaise.  It does have pea protein in it,
     which apparently bothers my tummy somewhat. I'm trying Dr. Gundry's Lectin Shield
     capsules, to help my body cope with the pea protein. It does seem to help.

1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
(a sprinkle of black pepper- although the broccoli is already "peppery" in taste, so this
   is not really necessary.)

Wash, trim, and chop the broccoli. I chop mine fairly small, so the salad is easy to eat. Cube the ham or chop the bacon into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl, combine the broccoli and meat. Add the mayo, salt and lemon juice and stir well until combined. ~ Store in the refrigerator. That's it! Enjoy. :)

**For those who can eat them, other veggies would probably be tasty in this- such as bell peppers, or onion. Sometime, I'll try it with a mix of broccoli and cauliflower.
**This could easily be made completely vegan. I image that chopped mushrooms would make a good substitute for the meat. Chunks of tempeh might be an interesting option, too.
**This could also be made nightshade-free, if there were a suitable substitute for the mayo. I recently tried an avocado-based mayo-alternative recipe. At first try, it just seemed like pungent guacamole. Not very appetizing. If I get that recipe to a point where I enjoy it, I'll try it in this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment