Friday, May 18, 2018

Cinnamon Applesauce Waffles

This is my current work-in-progress. I think that the texture could still use some fine-tuning, but overall I'm happy with these. :)

I wanted to see if it would work to use applesauce as an egg-replacer in waffles, rather than the flax gel I've been using. This changes the liquid-to-dry balance, so I added more millet flour as well as a bit of flaxmeal. I had thought that they might turn out floppy, but they have a good level of "crisp." As with all gluten-free waffles that I've made, they're fairly hard when they first come out of the waffle iron, but after sitting for a bit they soften somewhat- becoming crisp rather than crunchy.



Cinnamon Applesauce Waffles
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, soy-free, nightshade-free, corn-free
In our waffle maker, which makes four large squares per batch, this makes close to two batches,
so.....about seven individual waffle squares.

First thing:
3/4 cup milk alternative
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
~combine and let sit

Dry ingredients:
1 1/4 cup millet flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 Tablespoon coconut flour
1 Tablespoon flax meal (regular, or golden)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Wet ingredients:
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons liquid coconut oil
1/3 cup oil (I used a mild avocado oil)

(2 teaspoons vanilla)
2 Tablespoons coconut sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry, along with the milk-vinegar mixture. Whisk well until smooth. Let sit while the waffle iron heats.

As with all gluten-free waffles and pancakes, I oil the cooking surface for each batch. Currently, I use a standard baking spray to oil the waffle iron.

When the waffle iron is ready, scoop or spoon batter onto the hot surface and bake according to instructions for your particular waffle baker.

I put these onto a cooling rack once they're done. If they sit on a plate, the undersides get very soggy. I actually prefer the texture if they sit on the rack until they're cool, and then I butter them and reheat in the microwave.

If you have any leftovers, they're best stored in the refrigerator. You can reheat in either a toaster or a microwave.

Enjoy!

*I've been steering away from vanilla lately, as it's frightfully expensive right now. Vanilla does make things tasty, but this recipe would work fine without it. I think that next time I make these, I'll leave out the vanilla and add a little coconut nectar instead. Agave nectar or honey would probably be good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment